Date: Tue, 11 Aug 2015 16:10:46 +0300
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: JtR on ARM (NEON)

On Tue, Aug 11, 2015 at 12:31:01PM +0800, Lei Zhang wrote:
> Well, I finally got this issue resolved, by using a newer compiler.
[...]
> I'm really not sure if it's some bug in gcc 4.6 for ARM, or it's some undefined behavior in JtR that happened to work with the newer gcc.

Can you please try building with old gcc and its usual optimization
options, but adding -fno-strict-aliasing?

If the above "helps" (hides the problem), then:

Also, try removing -fno-strict-aliasing and adding -Wstrict-aliasing=1.
Per gcc man page, the default level is 3, which produces fewer false
positives, but might also produce more false negatives.  At =1, we might
see more false positives, but might also have some real issues pointed
out to us.

Alexander