Date: Fri, 31 Jul 2015 16:17:46 -0400
From: Mathieu Laprise <mathlaprise@...il.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Johnny: core/jumbo differences

On Fri, Jul 31, 2015 at 10:14 AM, Frank Dittrich <frank.dittrich@...lbox.org
> wrote:

> prince mode is not mentioned in the docs at all, see
> https://github.com/magnumripper/JohnTheRipper/issues/1428
> The issue also mentions a PDF document describing the attack:
> https://hashcat.net/events/p14-trondheim/prince-attack.pdf
>
> Loopback mode is only mentioned in doc/OPTIONS.
>
> Markov mode and mask mode mode are mentioned in doc/MODES. They also
> have separate doc/MARKOV and doc/MASK files.
> May be all the modes should be mentioned in doc/OPTIONS as well.

Thanks Frank for the documentation, I'll look at those files. If I take
prince for example, I see that there are a lot of options in the github
issue doc. Do john-devs want Johnny to put all available options in the UI
for those 3 modes even if it has risk of confusing less advanced user or we
could choose the most important ? We could do it 3 ways:
1) Only add the options relevant to the majority of the users.
2) Add all options in johnny. However, we could separate in two areas
(essential options for the mode vs advanced options) (differentiate
optional vs essential parameters)
3)Add all options and don't separate them.

Content of type "text/html" skipped