Date: Sun, 26 Jul 2015 15:58:42 +0200
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: PHC: Lyra2 vs yescrypt benchmarks 2

Agnieszka,

On Sun, Jul 26, 2015 at 03:40:18PM +0200, Solar Designer wrote:
> On Sun, Jul 26, 2015 at 03:15:43PM +0200, Agnieszka Bielec wrote:
> > I was thinking that it uses AVX2 becaues Lyra2 uses
> > blake2b which has some instructions in SSE4_1
>
> Huh?!  Do you understand how SSE2, SSE4.1, AVX, and AVX2 correspond to
> each other and in what ways they differ?  Can you please explain your
> understanding to me, so that I see if it's correct or where exactly it
> is wrong.  You sound confused pretty badly here.  Perhaps not enough
> assembly output reading on your part. ;-)

To clarify, I don't need a lot of detail from you - e.g., I am not
asking you to list all extra instructions available with one of these
that are not in another (although listing one or two particularly
relevant instructions is OK).  I just need a few sentences summarizing the
relationship and main differences between these SIMD instruction sets.

Thanks,

Alexander