Date: Thu, 16 Jul 2015 15:12:02 +0200
From: magnum <john.magnum@...hmail.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: PHC: Lyra2 on GPU

On 2015-07-16 10:25, Agnieszka Bielec wrote:
>> On 2015-07-13 20:28, Agnieszka Bielec wrote:
>>> Do john support lws auto tuning? We only have get_default_workgroup()
>>> function which is called somewhere.
>>
>> Unless none were given, autotune_run() will auto-tune GWS first (using an
>> LWS of NULL during that process). Then it will auto-tune LWS using the
>> previously established GWS.
>
> works in Lyra2 but in yescrypt doesn't work
>
> I added printf here
>
> static void create_clobj(size_t gws, struct fmt_main *self)
> {
>      printf("gws=%llu\n",gws);
>

> and the output is:

> Calculating best global worksize (GWS); max. 1s single kernel invocation.
> gws=256
> gws=0
> OpenCL error (CL_INVALID_BUFFER_SIZE) in file
> (opencl_yescrypt_fmt_plug.c) at line (163) - (Error creating device
> buffer)
>
> I changed get_default_workgroup() to return 0 in lyra and yescrypt

Does your crypt_all() handle the case where local_work_size == 0, and
supplying a null pointer (as opposed to &local_work_size) if so?

eg. in wpapsk-opencl crypt_all_benchmark():

	size_t *lws = local_work_size ? &local_work_size : NULL;

...then kernel is called like this:

	clEnqueueNDRangeKernel(queue[gpu_id], wpapsk_init, 1, NULL,
&global_work_size, lws, 0, NULL, multi_profilingEvent[1]);

It doesn't pass a pointer to a variable that is 0, but instead it passes
a NULL pointer. I guess your problem might be that this logic is
missing. It would be easier if the OpenCL calls could just use a 0 value
instead but they do not.

magnum