Date: Tue, 14 Jul 2015 01:09:51 +0200
From: magnum <john.magnum@...hmail.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: *2john conversion support

On 2015-07-13 16:34, Frank Dittrich wrote:
> On 07/13/2015 04:20 PM, Dhiru Kholia wrote:
>> What is the expected output of this new unified single script (or
>> program)? Can it just print a bunch of hashes for a given input file?
>
> First, let's get an overview what those tools currently expect.
> Some read from stdin and write to stdout, some want file names.
> Some tools do support various options.

Yeah and second, let's fix some *2john tools so they comply with some
bare minimum requirement (maybe all do already). Only then try to write
this new wrapper (if needed).

> This is a q&d test to collect the usage output.
> I had to press <Ctrl>-D for those three tools that expect to read from
> stdin (aix2john.pl, cisco2john.pl, ldif2john.pl):

I presume they all use the <> perl operator, so they can read from one
or many files, or from stdin. That's a nice feature but I think minimum
requirement should be to be able to read from one or many files.

So what should the bare minimum requirements be?

1. Output is always stdout, never a file. All extra output, not actually
needed for cracking, should go to stderr.
2. Input is one or many files, given as arguments. Reading from stdin
can be an alternative (but not a replacement).
3. Non-file arguments should start with dash, eg. -i or -h.
4. I think we recently unified the ones that inlines data under a
certain size threshold, to use MAX_INLINE_SIZE from params.h and to use
-i for overriding that threshold. See #794.

and perhaps:
5. All should output usage given "-h" option.
6. All that can't optionally read from stdin, should also output usage
when given no options.

magnum