Date: Mon, 13 Jul 2015 20:12:46 +0200
From: Agnieszka Bielec <bielecagnieszka8@...il.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Agnieszka's weekly report #10

> On Mon, Jul 13, 2015 at 07:19:44PM +0200, Agnieszka Bielec wrote:
>> I switched pomelo to use *_region function but I modified this
>> function a little, I hope you don't mind?
>
> It's not that I mind (if you correctly document what you changed,
> avoiding misattribution), but rather I am surprised, and you need to
> explain what you changed and why.  I expected that no changes would be
> needed, unless we want e.g. to rename things to be yescrypt-neutral.

I added only this and of course I renamed

void * alloc_region(region_t * region, size_t size)
{
    if(size<=region->aligned_size)
        return region->aligned;

>> but in Lyra2 I am using also many very small chunks dynamically
>> allocated like 10-60 bytes. it depends of number of threads and I'm
>> not sure if *_region here makes sense
>
> Maybe not, but this brings up other issues.  You need to ensure you
> avoid having these small allocations compete for the same cache lines
> (which may "randomly" happen with separate allocations), yet you also
> need to ensure you avoid false sharing.  This is tricky, especially as
> you're unlikely to see these effects on any one system, yet they may
> show up elsewhere.  You might want to revisit this as a separate task.

ok, maybe these all values are the same, and if they are the same I
just remove them, sorry that I didn't checked this previously but I
was thinking that this isn't important

>> > I've just recalled that there was a BSTY coin miner CUDA implementation
>> > as well, and it's likely faster (but more specialized) than the Lyra2
>> > authors' one.  It uses some inline PTX assembly, but it's specialized to
>> > BSTY's older revision of yescrypt and with some parameters hard-coded.
>> > Maybe you'd be able to update it to current yescrypt and generalize it
>> > for arbitrary parameters.
>>
>> I've implemented from yescrypt-opt.c, yescrypt from BSTY miner looked
>> like something else for me
>
> This is confusing, probably because you're confused.  The paragraph
> about BSTY that you quoted here has nothing to do with yescrypt on CPU,
> nor with the memory allocation functions.

I meant here yescrypt on GPU - that is based on yescrypt-opt.c and not
on BSTY miner