Date: Mon, 13 Jul 2015 19:19:44 +0200
From: Agnieszka Bielec <bielecagnieszka8@...il.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Agnieszka's weekly report #10

> You should already have the memory (de)allocation out of the loop for
> this.  So you'd need to either implement it in some temporary way first
> (like you have for Lyra2?) or complete this task first:
>
>> - Switch all other PHC finalists implemented in JtR so far to use
>> yescrypt's *_region() functions for memory allocation (effectively
>> keeping it out of the loop):
>> http://www.openwall.com/lists/john-dev/2015/07/05/17

I switched pomelo to use *_region function but I modified this
function a little, I hope you don't mind?
but in Lyra2 I am using also many very small chunks dynamically
allocated like 10-60 bytes. it depends of number of threads and I'm
not sure if *_region here makes sense

> As to third-party OpenCL and CUDA implementation of yescrypt:
>
>> - Implement yescrypt in OpenCL.  May take a look at the existing OpenCL
>> implementation being used for BSTY cryptocoin mining, and at Lyra2
>> authors' CUDA implementation.  (URLs were on the PHC discussions list.)
>>
>> - Consider integrating Lyra2 authors' CUDA implementation of yescrypt as
>> well.
>
> I've just recalled that there was a BSTY coin miner CUDA implementation
> as well, and it's likely faster (but more specialized) than the Lyra2
> authors' one.  It uses some inline PTX assembly, but it's specialized to
> BSTY's older revision of yescrypt and with some parameters hard-coded.
> Maybe you'd be able to update it to current yescrypt and generalize it
> for arbitrary parameters.

I've implemented from yescrypt-opt.c, yescrypt from BSTY miner looked
like something else for me