Date: Tue, 7 Jul 2015 00:15:36 +0300
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: PHC: yescrypt questions

On Mon, Jul 06, 2015 at 08:09:13PM +0200, Agnieszka Bielec wrote:
> I have some questions.
>
> should I use format
> '$7$06..../....SodiumChloride$ENlyo6fGw4PCcDBOFepfSZjFUnVatHzCcW55.ZGz3B0'
> for how hashes are stored?

For classic scrypt hashes, yes - and this will obsolete the scrypt
format currently in JtR.  (Except that I think folks working on jumbo
added other encodings in there, which may need to be re-added too,
before we'd replace that format.)

For native yescrypt hashes, no.

> yescrypt_kdf() is more general than PHS
>
> and my task is to add to john only PHS?

The interface for you to use is yescrypt_r().

It uses the above encoding when invoked on a classic scrypt hash, with a
setting string starting with "$7$".

It uses a revision of this encoding when invoked on native yescrypt
hashes.  And there's a problem here: not all of yescrypt's parameters
are encoded in there yet.  I should correct this.  If I don't do it soon
enough (and inform you), please feel free to develop something temporary
instead (like you did for other PHC finalists already, which didn't have
any native crypt(3)-like encoding at all).

> but format above is for yescrypt_kdf?

No, yescrypt_kdf() does not use any encoding into an ASCII string at all.
It works on binary data.

Alexander