Date: Thu, 25 Jun 2015 06:22:56 +0300
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Agnieszka's weekly report #8

On Thu, Jun 25, 2015 at 04:23:28AM +0200, Agnieszka Bielec wrote:
> > is this ok?
> > #define FORMAT_LABEL            "Lyra2-cuda"
> > #define FORMAT_NAME            "Lyra2"
> > #define ALGORITHM_NAME            "Lyra2 OpenCL"
>
> Sorry I meant
> #define ALGORITHM_NAME            "Lyra2 CUDA"

This may be OK, although in other GPU formats we set FORMAT_NAME to an
empty string, like:

opencl_phpass_fmt_plug.c:

#define FORMAT_LABEL            "phpass-opencl"
#define FORMAT_NAME             ""

#define ALGORITHM_NAME          "MD5 OpenCL"

and as you can see, we also put the underlying crypto primitive name
into ALGORITHM_NAME before " OpenCL" or " CUDA".  The latter doesn't
make that much sense for Lyra2, where performance is primarily affected
by its high-level structure.

So maybe:

#define FORMAT_LABEL            "Lyra2-cuda"
#define FORMAT_NAME             ""
#define ALGORITHM_NAME          "CUDA"

And for CPU implementations, you'd include bits used/bits total, SIMD
instruction set used, and the interleaving factor in ALGORITHM_NAME.

Alexander