Date: Mon, 22 Jun 2015 22:48:41 +0300
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Interleaving of intrinsics

On Mon, Jun 22, 2015 at 09:40:55PM +0200, magnum wrote:
> As Lei wrote, all speeds for PBKDB2-HMAC

Where?  I must have missed that.

> (yes, even MD4 and MD5). All of
> them are c/s for 1000 iterations. So 737882 c/s corresponds to something
> like 737882 * 2002 = 1.4G hashes per second. I'm not sure that makes
> sense on a MIC but that's what it should mean.

Oh.  It makes sense, yes.  And it was worthy of benchmarking and
considering for tuning of the interleaving factors, then.

> My laptop figure for
> single core MD4 is 33424 which means about 67M hashes/s, and that does
> make sense.

Are the speeds for your laptop also for PBKDF2-HMAC at 1000 iterations?

It looks like my comments didn't fully apply, then.  Those benchmarks
make a lot more sense.  It's just that the naming like md4-omp didn't
suggest that PBKDF2-HMAC was meant.

Alexander