Date: Sat, 6 Jun 2015 15:09:30 +0300
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: PHC: Lyra2 on CPU

Agnieszka,

On Sat, Jun 06, 2015 at 12:41:10PM +0200, Agnieszka Bielec wrote:
> but it looks like omp has problems with barriers or there is something
> I don't know . I wrote simple program in C

In this program, your threads share an stdio buffer for stdout.  That's
risky.  You're lucky stdout is line-buffered when output is to a tty, so
the buffer is flushed after each printf(), but still you have your
threads work on this shared data structure.

I think it's wrong for you to use this to draw conclusions about OpenMP
barriers, given that your debugging output itself may be out of order.

You could want to try write(2) (syscall, no buffering in userspace)
instead of printf(3) (libc function, buffering in userspace).  For
"production use", write(2) has its own drawbacks (may return after
sending only partial output, so needs to be put in a loop), but for your
current experiment it's a fine choice.

Alexander