Date: Mon, 1 Jun 2015 17:03:34 -0400
From: Mathieu Laprise <mathlaprise@...il.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: [Johnny] Task 1.5.1 Manual plaintext guessing

On Mon, May 25, 2015 at 10:54 AM, Shinnok <admin@...nnok.com> wrote:

> . Separate johnHandler; Thus no session. Single question that stands is
> different john session name vs. don't allow running this feature if there's
> a current cracking session active?
> 2. Use --stdin method;
> 3. Passphrase will be tested agains all hashes since there's no simple way
> of doing otherwise ;
> 4. Isn't --skip-self-tests jumbo only? We don't need to think about it if
> so;
> 5. Single pashphrase at a time. Anything different than that falls into
> the wordlist attack category.
> 6. Input at the bottom of the table view is fine. It could also be a
> button in the actions toolbar with a popup message box.

How is --stdin supposed to work ? I'm not sure to understand. I know for
sure that the password for one of my hash is "baseball". I did ./john
--stdin pw1.txt . I got a command line, I enter "baseball" and press ENTER.
A new command line appears to enter another word. How do I trigger the
attack with --stdin? My john.pot file is always empty, so I guess my
password is never found. If I put baseball in a file and --wordlist=file, I
am able to get it working.

Content of type "text/html" skipped