Date: Mon, 1 Jun 2015 21:58:21 +0300
From: Shinnok <admin@...nnok.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: [Johnny] 1.5.3 Code redesign and multithreading add-on

> On May 25, 2015, at 2:38 AM, Mathieu Laprise <mathlaprise@...il.com> wrote:
>
> I'm putting in this thread all important informations from other threads regarding the refecatoring of old Johnny code. This task will be my priority this week. We can discuss it further in this thread.
>
> 17:21:40 <shinnok> math07: point 5 becomes CoreHandler, it will handle all
>                    instances of JtR clients and all compute intensive parsing
>                    tasks
> 17:24:21 <shinnok> math07: I'll write the stub then a subsequent e-mail soon

I'm done writing the stub for JohnHandler. This will be the base class for all existing and future handlers we write. I described it on Github as well as what you need to do next:
https://github.com/shinnok/johnny/issues/18 <https://github.com/shinnok/johnny/issues/18>

I didn't implement CoreHandler. As I progressed with JohnHandler and taking into consideration the outstanding issues to be resolved in the other threads, I came to the conclusion that we don't have all the details of how we'll communicate with JtR, neither how broad or deep will that interaction be.
Given the context, I will postpone the CoreHandler definition most likely until after sessions and jumbo(at least partly) implementations, at which point we'll have more handlers and thus better insight to be able to design the CoreHandler layer of abstraction.

We still benefit from most points described previously with just this Handler, sans this one:
5. We need a way to keep track of the various john process we keep spawning.
This becomes keeping track of handlers. For now and until we reach a "dozen" handlers we can easily do it manually without the help from a (possibly crufty) core layer. :-)

After you complete your end of the bargain in #18, we consider this task done, until I deem it worthy of revival in the future that is.

Godspeed,
Shinnok
Content of type "text/html" skipped