Date: Wed, 27 May 2015 20:26:33 +0200
From: Frank Dittrich <frank.dittrich@...lbox.org>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: [john-core] Getting John's stdout unbuffered for Johnny

On 05/27/2015 08:09 PM, Shinnok wrote:
> Mathieu,
>
> Your description of the problem is too hasty. You need to do a more informative writeup based on the Github discussion, so that the JtR developers understand the problem from Johnny's perspective and provide useful feedback from JtR's perspective. With the current definition, I don't expect anyone to weigh in.
>
> You need to describe the two Johnny problems:
> 1. Console log output;
> 2. Getting status lines from JtR(gratuitous or on-demand; for additional functionality and monitoring);
> And the three solutions:
> 1. flush() and writing '\n'
> 2. prospective --no-tty option could be unbuffered (setbuf(stdout, NULL))
> 3. --progress-every && --crack-status
>
> Shinnok

Please also explain why these options are not good enough:

kill -s USR1 <pid> (might not work under Windows)
kill -s HUP <pid>
./john --status=<session_name>

(Apparently, SIGHUP will not be forwarded to forked processes. This
might need to be fixed, and/or you might need to send SIGHUP to all
forked processes.)

Frank