Date: Mon, 25 May 2015 10:05:01 +0200
From: magnum <john.magnum@...hmail.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: interleaving in SHA256 & SHA512

On 2015-05-25 05:39, Lei Zhang wrote:
> [x8]
> (core dump)

> I think there's some memory bug in saph or somewhere else. I'm still investigating it.

Please open an issue for this right away. You can assign it to yourself
while investigating, but it's important that known bugs are actually
known to all of us. Jim has had a habit of sometimes making assumptions
instead of using the correct macros at hand. I guess there's some left
to fix.

In this case though, I have a feeling he/we simply don't support this
high para (we really should support up to 5 or so, and whenever we have
such limit we should include a #warning in the code if higher is tried).

BTW for interleaving factors, you should not just try multiples like 2,
4, 8. You need to try all of 2, 3, 4, 5 - and more than 5 is probably
never worthwhile (if it is, I guess it indicates we should look into the
code instead of just bumping para). So maybe you need to retry all those
benchmark yet again ;-)

magnum