Date: Tue, 12 May 2015 14:25:09 -0400
From: Mathieu Laprise <mathlaprise@...il.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: [core john] [Johnny] Windows event loop

Wow, my tests on CTR+C were done on magum/master, congratulation for
finding the 1-2 lines at the right position in john core that made all the
differences. I'm really surprised, I've seen nowhere that we had to remove
the null handler before adding a new handler. Congrats on finding that !

Shinnok said :

> As you probably have figured out by now, this took me a considerable
> amount of time to do, so Mathieu, next time around, please strive a bit
> more when I tell you that you haven't been exhaustive enough regarding an
> approach.

I'm sorry you invested so much time redoing it. Since there were no
objections when I asked, I sincerely thought you'd be happy with the
working solution CTRL_BREAK even if it wasn't done your way. Unfortunately,
you were not so I apology. I'm used to work in environments where time is
money and if we have something 100% working and OK code-wise, we are not
encouraged to spend a lot of time rewriting something that already took a
lot of time to do unless it has important benefits. But now, I understand
more how it works in this company.

I expect you to take an hour or two to figure out if all of this is
> confirmed on your system too, then I'd like you to proceed to the comments
> task. My system was a Windows 7 VM. Cygwin latest as of today with gcc
> version 4.9.2.

On windows 8.1,  1.7.9, core john and jumbo executables work. But I have
the unknown type u_int error for jumbo source code.
Aleksey said :

> Though my question was about WM_CLOSE exactly. Is WM_CLOSE still
> needed?

No, WM_CLOSE was a complete alternative to generating CTRL_XXX events.

Content of type "text/html" skipped