Date: Mon, 11 May 2015 15:34:00 +0300
From: Shinnok <admin@...nnok.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: [core john] [Johnny] Windows event loop

> On May 10, 2015, at 6:35 PM, Mathieu Laprise <mathlaprise@...il.com> wrote:
>
> Thanks Aleksey for your comments.
> Since there were no objections, yesterday, I implemented the solution #2 in Johnny on branch WindowsSupport and it's working great. I'll make a pull request soon.

Sorry to disappoint you guys, but Win32 API dev is that "fun" yes.

Is #2 the helper executable one? If so, then I'm afraid that is not the most viable solution for the long term.

The way to go is this:
1. For now implement the event loop and handle WM_CLOSE. JtR core would be best.
2. Further along the road we should convert to --no-tty option and then we can close JtR just by sending a "q\n".

I'm happy with just supporting a specific version of JtR going forwards and not looking backwards. Johnny is supposed to run on modern desktops and there's no reason why such a desktop can't run a fresh JtR.

Shinnok