Date: Mon, 11 May 2015 13:01:09 -0400
From: Mathieu Laprise <mathlaprise@...il.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: [core john] [Johnny] Windows event loop

On Mon, May 11, 2015 at 11:15 AM, Shinnok <admin@...nnok.com> wrote:

> Have you tried DetachConsole first then Attach? Some people say that fixes
> their problems.

I didn't find a DetachConsole method but I tried FreeConsole(). Which the
doc say,A process can use the *FreeConsole*
<https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/ms683150%28v=vs.85%29.aspx>
function to detach itself from its console.
In my tests, it doesn't changes anything before or after etc..

To stress this option a bit more, have you explicitly re-enabled CTRL
> events in JtR after disabling in Johnny? like this:
>
> SetConsoleCtrlHandler(NULL, FALSE)
>

> As per the doc:
> "If the HandlerRoutine parameter is NULL, a TRUE value causes the calling
> process to ignore CTRL+C input, and a FALSE value restores normal
> processing of CTRL+C input. This attribute of ignoring or processing CTRL+C
> is inherited by child processes."

Unfortunately, the problem with CTRL+C is worse than that.
SetConsoleCtrlHandler(NULL, FALSE) don't work on Johnny. We get killed with
it too, maybe it's Qt's fault.
Also, CTRL+C, even without the SetConsoleCtrlHandler(NULL,FALSE) doesn't
work on John, it never get into the corresponding method even though the
code looks great in john. I've done multiple combinations for some days and
I've never sent a CTRL_C_EVENT that seemed to do the right thing. However,
CTRL_BREAK did. It's weird because john treats all CTRL_XXX event the same
so my hypothesis is that it is not sent/ignored by windows like the guy on
stackoverflow said.

Content of type "text/html" skipped