Date: Fri, 8 May 2015 09:57:29 -0400
From: Mathieu Laprise <mathlaprise@...il.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: [core john] [Johnny] Windows event loop

Important info from one of my last message :

> On Windows (tested on 8.1), Johnny can't terminate cleanly the main(and
> only) process of JtR(equivalent of unix sigterm). So, start attack/pause
> attack don't work. However, if we use the windows equivalent of SIGKILL, it
> works.
> From the Qt documentation,
> On Windows, QProces::terminate() posts a WM_CLOSE message to all toplevel
> windows of the process and then to the main thread of the process itself. Console
> applications on Windows that do not run an event loop, or whose event loop
> does not handle the WM_CLOSE message, can only be terminated by
> calling kill(). However, kill() doesn't give you a chance to do some
> cleanup.

I continued working on this and read A LOT of websites about this problem
and tried a lot of solutions. Here is for example one site that talks about
this issue
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/813086/can-i-send-a-ctrl-c-sigint-to-an-application-on-windows

Core-John handles CTRL_C events nicely. However, Qt sends WM_Close message
with Process::terminate() which isn't working with console application that
don't have windows.

I don't seem to find a clean solution that works. So here are those that
works so far, but I prefer to warn you in case you don't want to accept
that kind of workarounds in your code.

Solution 1 and 2 allows cleanup(it's like sigterm on unix)

Solution 1) This requires modifications to john. On Windows, for
john_main_process, create a invisible window, and an event loop on a
separate thread which will forward WM_CLOSE event to a function in john.
I've done a prototype(not in john) and this solution works.

Solution 2) Do like the guy named Shakta on stackoverflow. This doesn't
require changes on John. On johnny, use AttachConsole(johnProcessId);
GenerateConsoleCtrlEvent()
and send a CTRL_BREAK to john. The problem is that we receive it too and
it'll kill Johnny. So that's why we create a simple software Helper.exe
with those 3 lines. We'll launch it and it will send the signal for us.
This works, I've tested it too, the details are in Shakta stackoverflow's
answer. Cons : we have a new executable that will be called by johnny.

Solution 3) Send QProcess::kill() but that doesn't give the chance for John
to cleanup and Solar said it's important.

I've tested answer from KingDragon and it doesn't work, maybe it's qt's
fault ? I've tested a lot of other stuffs too. Unfortunately, I didn't find
a clean solution so far to this problem.

Content of type "text/html" skipped