Date: Thu, 7 May 2015 18:10:26 +0300
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Session names somename.[0-9]+ shouldn't be allowed

On Thu, May 07, 2015 at 04:58:41PM +0200, Frank Dittrich wrote:
> On 05/07/2015 04:46 PM, Solar Designer wrote:
> >> So, dots in the path name should be allowed.
>
> jtrts.pl has meanwhile been changed.
> It uses --session=tst instead of --session=./tst now.
> But may be john used different default paths for .rec/.log, depending on
>  JOHN_SYSTEMWIDE_EXEC. That might have been the reason to use
> --session=./tst.

Right.  Does the test suite read those files back?  Does it need to
clean them up?

> > Ouch.  I'd rather not.  As I just wrote in another message, this was
> > never supposed to work that way.  The option specifies session names,
> > not pathnames.
> >
> > However, I am open to discussing and possibly changing this, if there
> > are good reasons to allow for pathnames there.
>
> It might be good to allow applications like Johnny or the test suite to
> have full control over the exact location of the .rec and .log files.
> This makes cleanup easier and reduces the risk of interfering with
> sessions created by the user.

Makes sense.

> And if the default location of .rec files can vary, depending on the
> john version, I'd need some way to query that default location for bash
> completion of --restore=[tab].

Oh, you're right.  I don't use non-default bash completions myself (to
me, they're mostly an annoyance and a risk whenever I encounter e.g. the
huge set of pre-specified ones on Ubuntu), but I guess some people
appreciate them.  I'm sorry, I don't seem to have a good solution for
you. :-(

Alexander