Date: Wed, 6 May 2015 23:55:49 +0300
From: Aleksey Cherepanov <lyosha@...nwall.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: [Johnny] TODO and comments in code

Shinnok,

On Tue, Apr 28, 2015 at 10:32:39AM +0300, Shinnok wrote:
> 2. You could go over them, assuming that you remember enough, and in
> the same fashion obliterate anything that doesn't make sense
> currently or was part of your initial effort and understanding.

I've used default branch from your repo:
$ git clone https://github.com/shinnok/johnny

I think I'll bring everything to the list to be discussed.

(filename:count of TODOs)

main.cpp:2
    // We set application info up.
    // It is needed to be able to store settings easily.
    // TODO: Could we use openwall.com/john as domain?
    // TODO: Is that the right place for this?
    QCoreApplication::setOrganizationName("Openwall");
    QCoreApplication::setOrganizationDomain("openwall.com");
    QCoreApplication::setApplicationName("Johnny");

I think it may be dropped with code because we don't use system's
storage to save settings unless you'd like to user organization name
for something else. We use johnny.conf file. There was a discussion
about the way to store settings:
http://openwall.com/lists/john-dev/2012/08/05/11

tablemodel.cpp:1
        // TODO: Row numbers starting from 0 seems to not be user
        //       friendly.

I am not sure.

mainwindow.h:2

    QAbstractTableModel *m_hashesTable;
    // TODO: Probably the right place for this field is in table model.
    //       But this needs to have abstract interface that supports
    //       connection with files. Someone could suppose to drop
    //       generated tables out but if we want to have tables
    //       joining, editing and so on tables that is not connected
    //       with files yet are necessary.
    //       However now this is here.

    // TODO: Group settings into separate class with support for
    //       saving and so on.
    // Path to John's binary
    QString m_pathToJohn;
    // Interval between loading of cracked passwords
    int m_timeIntervalPickCracked;
    [...]

That's going to be a separate task. I already mentioned decoupling of
settings into a separate thing.

filetablemodel.cpp:17
mainwindow.cpp:139
 are to be done.