Date: Thu, 30 Apr 2015 11:04:00 +0200
From: Frank Dittrich <frank.dittrich@...lbox.org>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: [Johnny] Task 1.4.2 fork and OpenMP

Mathieu,

I could have given a much shorter and better reply than my previous one:

On 04/30/2015 02:04 AM, Mathieu Laprise wrote:
> Hey guys,
> I sent SIGTERM, SIGINT or SIGKILL with 2 different ways : with Johnny
> and by sending signals with the "top" linux command. It seems to me that
> John only kills its children when ascii code 3 ( CTRL-c) or 'q'. is
> pushed on the keyboard, not with signals. I looked at the code in
> "signal.c" of JtR and it seems to be consistent with my tests. So I
> thought of 3 ways to solve this:
>
> a) I could modify John (signal.c) to forward the sigterm signal to
> children. Cons: 1)is it a bug or the wished behaviour that sigterm on
> john main process doesn't kill the children on any sigterm/sigint ?

I would definitely prefer if the main process would forward SIGTERM and
SIGINT to child processes.
If core john keeps the current behavior, we might add config options to
bleeding-jumbo which allow changing the behavior.
But that doesn't solve your problem, since you can't rely on the main
process forwarding the signals.
So you might need to kill the children first, and then the main process.

Frank