Date: Tue, 28 Apr 2015 21:58:23 +0200
From: Frank Dittrich <frank.dittrich@...lbox.org>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: [Johnny] Task 1.4.2 fork and OpenMP

On 04/28/2015 08:53 PM, magnum wrote:
> On 2015-04-28 15:23, Frank Dittrich wrote:
>> While jumbo had fork for a while, older core versions didn't have --fork.
>> So you might need to check whether john supports --fork.
>> You need to parse john's usage output, and (for jumbo), the
>> --list=hidden-options output.
>
> But seriously, it's a massive waste of time caring about supporting pre-
> 1.8.0 (and 1.8.0-jumbo-1) versions.

May be we need to check which john versions are packaged for various
popular (LTS) Linux distros.
But meanwhile even Fedora 20 (soon to reach end-of-life, shortly after
Fedora 22 is released) includes a core john 1.8.0 version (with --fork
support).
Fedora 22 also includes a core john version 1.8.0 (no OMP).
What about Ubuntu?
But since even Debian stable contains john-1.8.0-2 according to
https://packages.debian.org/stable/allpackages, we are probably OK if we
just assume --fork is supported.

OTOH, for other features (--regex etc), we need to parse john's usage
output and --list= output anyway, so we might as well use the same logic
to detect whether or not --fork is supported.

Or Johnny might suggest to upgrade john if the version is too old.
IMHO all this is of very low priority, getting --fork supported if it
exists is much more important.
Shinnok or Aleksey should have the final say here.

Frank