Date: Mon, 27 Apr 2015 15:31:16 +0300
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Advice on proposal: John the Ripper jumbo robustness

On Fri, Apr 24, 2015 at 10:10:53PM +0800, Kai Zhao wrote:
> I use the latest version: afl-1.71b, and the fuzzing speed can reach 2200
> exec/sec. Below are the detailed steps.

Cool.  However, I just noticed that the john build you're trying to fuzz
on super appears to include OpenCL or/and CUDA support.  (I am judging
by its ridiculous address space usage at 21 TB, which is typically
caused by those libraries.)  You could speed up its startup by building
it without those features, and thus having it linked to fewer libraries.
Each additional library slows down startup of a dynamically-linked binary.

./configure --disable-opencl --disable-cuda

Well, except in cases where you're fuzzing this functionality.

Alexander