Date: Mon, 20 Apr 2015 10:47:06 -0400
From: Mathieu Laprise <mathlaprise@...il.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: [RFC] Johnny further development proposal

Hey guys, here is my first draft timeline. I put it on gsoc website and in
the list too. I'll appreciate any comments. Like Aleksey says, some tasks
like jumbo support and 2*john conversion are not clear to me at the moment
so I put more time into these activities.

This timeline start on the* first week of may(during the community bounding
period) and at version 1.4 since 1.2-1.3 have Shinnok name on the roadmap.*
I'm not really experimented at planning so if something takes less time
than planned, I'll start working on the next sprint. And if something takes
WAY more time than planned, I'll take a moment to brainstorm about is this
feature worth it or should we priorize another feature for the best of
Johnny ?

Sprint 1(week 1 and 2) :  Get familiar with john the ripper doc and
codebase. Code, integrate, test version 1.4 requirements . Translation is
already advanced but proper threading will introduce new changes and bugs
that I'll fix.

Sprint 2(week 3 and 4) :  Code, integrate, test version 1.5
requirements . *Make
builds for major platforms and send it to the list and johnny website.*

Sprint 3(week 5 and 6) : Prepare for sprint 4 and understand *2john
conversion support(from 1.7). Think about a plan and show it to the list
for approval. Code, integrate, test version 1.6 requirements.

Sprint 4 (week 7 and 8) : Code, integrate, test version 1.7 requirements .

Sprint 5(week 9 and 10) : If 1.7 isn't finished, continue here. Also, make
some refactoring(if needed) to Johnny, retest everything we have so far and
prepare for next sprint and think about jumbo support. Which thing do we
want to implement? is it possible ?what are the risks ? how will we do it ?
Maybe make a prototype ? Start implementing version 1.8. *Make builds for
major platforms and send it to the list and johnny website.*

Sprint 6 (week 11 and 12) : Work really hard on version 1.8

Sprint 7 (week 13 and 14) : Work really hard on version 1.8. Start
brainstorming with the list about distribution channels and supported
platform to be ready for next sprint. *Make builds for major platforms and
send it to the list and johnny website.*

Sprint 8(week 14 and 15) : (Version 1.9) verify that everything build on
all supported platforms, do some tests using VM from different platforms,
fix platform specific bugs. Figure out distribution channel with the list.

Sprint 9 (week 16 and 17) (Version 2.0) is released, I polish stuff and fix
left bugs. A lot of testing.

After GSOC : Gather feedback from people regarding version 2.0 and work
part-time when school allows me on fixing them.

Content of type "text/html" skipped