Date: Sun, 19 Apr 2015 21:31:10 +0200
From: Lukas Odzioba <lukas.odzioba@...il.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Contribution to John The Ripper

> I wish to do in the correct way to add in the project and I do not want
> waste time developing something that never it will be used or added. So
> maybe i can write in john.c file and you could move to the correct way? or
> what is the easiest way to do this?.

I am affraid that such changes will not be merged. The proper way of
doing that, would be move all logic from *2john to JtR itself, but
this is unlikely to happen for many reasons. For now we prefer *2john
tools. Solution you are trying to implement is not a good idea.
Another thing is that your code has at first sight problem with buffer
overflow and unsecure handling of temporary files.

It's great that you are trying to contribute, but I would suggest
taking look at issues on magnum's github repository (we have 108
opened issues at the moment):
https://github.com/magnumripper/JohnTheRipper/issues
You can find there request for new formats as well.

Thanks,
Lukas