Date: Sat, 18 Apr 2015 20:45:42 +0200
From: Agnieszka Bielec <bielecagnieszka8@...il.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: [GSoC] John the Ripper support for PHC finalists

> I added opencl with --cost and I pass m_cost and t_cost by arguments
> but now the results are:
>
> [a@...er run]$ ./john --test --format=pomelo-opencl --dev=1 --cost=2:2,2:2
> Benchmarking: pomelo-opencl, POMELO [POMELO OpenCL (inefficient,
> development use only)]... Device 1: Tahiti [AMD Radeon HD 7900 Series]
> Local worksize (LWS) 64, global worksize (GWS) 4096
> DONE
> Speed for cost 1 (N) of 2, cost 2 (r) of 2
> Raw:    87487 c/s real, 9011K c/s virtual
>
> [a@...er run]$ ./john --test --format=pomelo-opencl --dev=5 --cost=2:2,2:2
> Benchmarking: pomelo-opencl, POMELO [POMELO OpenCL (inefficient,
> development use only)]... Device 5: GeForce GTX TITAN
> Local worksize (LWS) 64, global worksize (GWS) 8192
> DONE
> Speed for cost 1 (N) of 2, cost 2 (r) of 2
> Raw:    91022 c/s real, 91872 c/s virtual
>
> It's because now costs are passed like normal arguments and not by
> build options as previous

No!!!! it is as fast as previously but how exactly benchmarking works??
if in fmt_test are 2 records, it is fast
when I add 10 records with the same cost, it slows down
even If there are 2 records with the cost (2,2) and many more with
various cost, I see that if I specify --cost="2:2,2:2" the others will
be dropped from test
If benchmark encrypts one password on various gws, bencharking will
give better result than it should be due to less random memory access
I'm trying to investigate this