Date: Sat, 18 Apr 2015 17:27:25 +0300
From: Aleksey Cherepanov <aleksey.4erepanov@...il.com>
To: Shinnok <admin@...nnok.com>
Cc: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: [RFC] Johnny further development proposal

On Sat, Apr 18, 2015 at 05:06:03PM +0300, Shinnok wrote:

> > On Apr 18, 2015, at 4:36 PM, Aleksey Cherepanov <aleksey.4erepanov@...il.com> wrote:
> >
> > Hi Shinnok,

> >> I have some comments:
> >
> > More comments:
> >
> > Do you plan automated tests?
>
> I'm inclined to say that automated tests is too far fetched for Johnny. Not even JtR has that(?), which would be the real beneficiary of such a test suite.

JtR does that. It has 1) self-tests, 2) test suit. Though tests are
limited: they check correctness of formats for good hashes, they cover
neither ui, nor wrong hashes. Though it may (or may not) be improved
by Kai Zhao during this summer.

> > It may be helpful to mark all points of the roadmap with complexity
> > estimation including marks about obviousness of solution. Well, maybe
> > it would be better to write possibilities right there with estimation
> > of maturity.
>
> We think we are already working enough on process, maybe start focusing more on getting to write the actual code?

Please struggle with your temptation to not think through the tasks
before coding.

On wiki, I see

Version 1.7
 3. Figure out how to implement *2john conversion support and
    implement it

Version 1.8
 1. Jumbo support (this task needs an evaluation and a further
    breakdown)

In other proposals, I saw that students figure out things before the
coding period. Of course it is not fully possible to figure out
everything beforehand. And of course you may prepare a draft
implementation to "think" (though just non-formal description may be
enough). Nevertheless I think it would be useful to separate thinking
and coding periods to not come up with only drafts in the end. These
periods have very different expectation of resulting quality.

> > BTW "1.7 #1. Export to CSV and columnated txt." is done through
> > clipboard to a tabulated text (though the table breaks if any password
> > contains a tab). Also I did not test on very huge tables.
> >
> > Also I'd like settings "subsystem" to be redesigned to make it more
> > structured because now a single new setting needs changes in several
> > places.
> >

> That sounds reasonable. There's enough room for improvement. Can you please describe it a bit as a task in the wiki?

I'd like you to maintain the roadmap to keep it consistent with your
picture. It is quite non-trivial task that may make the code complex,
but I'd put it earlier before tasks that need new options to save time.

And I don't have time to edit wiki now.

Thanks!

--
Regards,