Date: Sat, 11 Apr 2015 22:14:50 +0300
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: [GSoC] John the Ripper support for PHC finalists

On Sat, Apr 11, 2015 at 09:05:49PM +0200, Agnieszka Bielec wrote:
> > On 2015-04-11 16:39, Solar Designer wrote:
> >> magnum, what base format would you suggest for a new split kernel format?
> >
> > RAR5 might be a clean base. Many of the other ones support vectorizing
> > (decided at run-time) so are somewhat more complex (although that might
> > be interesting for Pomelo too?). I suspect some of Claudio's formats
> > might be a good start too, I haven't looked much at them as he actively
> > maintains them himself.
>
> you mean only opencl version?
> or also non-opencl?

I think magnum meant only OpenCL, because the above was in context of
the topic of split kernels.  We say "split kernel" to mean an OpenCL
kernel that performs only a portion of a hash computation (or rather,
portions of many parallel hash computations, obviously) in order to keep
its running time per invocation sane.  (And then we invoke such kernels
multiple times in a loop from within crypt_all() in order to complete
the computation of final hashes.)  This is needed primarily to prevent
triggering timeouts and watchdogs in drivers.  It may also improve
interactive response times of john and of other concurrent GPU-using
programs.

Alexander