Date: Thu, 09 Apr 2015 17:52:15 +0200
From: magnum <john.magnum@...hmail.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Coding Style

On 2015-04-09 13:51, Alexander Cherepanov wrote:
> It seems everybody agrees that it should be fixed. After (and if) we
> decide on a specific style this could be dealt with in jumbo during
> total reformatting. For core it is yet to be seen how much reformatting
> it required/wanted.

Please note: If we are doing this (and core is to be reformatted), core
HAS to be fixed first and this must be merged before we do it to rest of
Jumbo. If we do it any other way, I will not have a chance to merge core
ever again without real pain.

>> 2. Never break user-visible strings such as printk messages even it
>> exceeds column 80, because that breaks the ability to grep for them.
>>
>> src/common-opencl.c : 1732
>>
>> fprintf(stderr, "Hardware resources "
>>            "exhausted\n");
>
> Can this be fixed automatically by existing tools?

I'm pretty sure I can do that with a trivial one-liner.

>> 3. Use only C89 "/* ... */" style and don't use C99-style " // ..."
>>
>> John core meets this requirementbut jumbo does not.
>
> IMHO this is a minor point and could be postponed until we figure other
> things out.

I agree. BTW sometimes the // really is better.

magnum