Date: Thu, 09 Apr 2015 15:29:04 +0300
From: Alexander Cherepanov <ch3root@...nwall.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Coding Style

On 2015-04-09 06:01, Kai Zhao wrote:
> I use the script checkpatch.pl to check the coding style of john jumbo. The
> number of problems is huge. I think most of these problems violate our
> current coding style. Since checkpatch.pl depends on the Kernel style, some
> of these problems may not really problems for john.
>
> The original output by checkpatch.pl is 10.6 MB, so I select some typical
> problems and put them in the attachment. These problems include space,
> brace, indentation and other problems.

Thanks, that's interesting. Such a script is definitely useful. Many
issues will be fixed when we reformat the source code. But there are
some useful warnings, e.g. it caught "memset(cp, 0, 1)" and "char
unsigned". Some diagnostic is bogus though:

WARNING: Statements terminations use 1 semicolon
#1722: FILE: john_the_ripper/src/common-opencl.c:1722:
+       for (num = autotune_get_next_gws_size(num, step, 1, default_value);;

Kai, can you please run the script against core?

--
Alexander Cherepanov