Date: Mon, 6 Apr 2015 14:40:45 +0200
From: Agnieszka Bielec <bielecagnieszka8@...il.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: [GSoC] John the Ripper support for PHC finalists

>you replied to Solar Designer, but quoted one of my messages. Please
>stop doing this.

Sorry I'm not sure what you mean.

>Somehow in your test output these two lines (or some similar lines) are
>missing:  [...]

I cut the output because I added some printfs

>What problems did you have? Did you mention them in any of your previous
>mails in a way that others could understand these problems?

I mentioned that I need to know the m_cost value before the kernel
compilation. I didn't mention about details because when I was trying with
--cost  there was a lot of problems with that and all the
time I was discovering a new one

>> I can give a list of arguments why I did it in this way if you want

>Please do. May be even better would have been discussing it before you
>went ahead implementing this.

1.first of all --cost only chooses "good" hashes, if I want to read --cost
before the kernel compilation I need to use this

>I've discovered that --cost modifies also fmt_test structure in fmt_main
>(but only with the --test flag!). I can take advantage of this.

It's only a trick like moving init() to set_key()

2.
>If I change one hash in fmt_test to a wrong one
>I have
>./john --test --format="django-scrypt" --cost="14,8,1"
>Speed for cost 1 (N) of 14, cost 2 (r) of 8, cost 3 (p) of 1
>Raw:    403 c/s real, 14.0 c/s virtual

>./john django --format="django-scrypt" --cost="14,8,1"
>Self test failed (cmp_all(1))

>It's a bug? (auto tune for all hashes)

>This is not a bug, but expected behavior.

this is wery bad for me because I need to compile the kernel again for
various values or choose the bigger one

3. When I add tunable functions and when I initialize everything in
reset() but not in init (like in opencl_mysqlsha1_fmt_plug.c)
 - it crashes somewhere beyond my code.
If I have init normal - (not like in opencl_mysqlsha1_fmt_plug.c) it works

4.
>I've discovered that --cost modifies also fmt_test structure in fmt_main
>(but only with the --test flag!). I can take advantage of this.

If I have the range of cost values here is a problem again
I need to
"compile the kernel again for
various values or choose the bigger one... or compile the kernel over
and over again"

this are most important reasons

This list is only for my of pomelo-opencl using __private
memory. Already I've tested __global memory which is slow, __local which
is limited and __private memory also isn't good.
Big chunks on __private in reality are actually "virtual" __global and
__local memory. I read somewhere (I don't remember the link) that not
always graphics cards good cope with this and from here I have
OUT_OUT_RESOURCES in --dev=1 and in --dev=5 and --dev=6 for the bigger
values (but maybe I am wrong, maybe someone has an other idea).
I want now to experiment with __global and __local memory managed by
hand and we will see what happen.
I think that pomelo hash is really hard to implement using GPU

I uploaded my code (__private memory) to the branch "private_memory"
but it's rather a demo. I have some warnings but it's not important now

and we run
./john --test --format=pomelo-opencl --dev=3 --t_cost=4 --m_cost=4
john doesn't check if --t_cost and --m_cost is given now

I'm including tests for __global memory and __private

I've added some printfs to know how many memory is used

http://pastebin.com/Rqe5yKsH

I'm wondering why on --dev=2 opencl using
global memory was fast, ~ 150k

Thanks

Content of type "text/html" skipped