Date: Sun, 5 Apr 2015 08:51:40 -0800
From: Royce Williams <royce@...ho.org>
To: john-dev <john-dev@...ts.openwall.com>
Subject: Re: Coding Style

On Sun, Apr 5, 2015 at 8:02 AM, Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com> wrote:

> If you insist on this, then please ensure there won't be any use of
> space characters (simply don't align things at all).  Tabs only.  Then I
> will be able to simply use a wider terminal window and not care what tab
> width others editing the file meant to use.  Since this effectively
> exceeds 80 chars anyway, I don't see much difference between this option
> and simply allowing e.g. 132 chars, except that this option forbids use
> of spaces and any kind of alignment.  Maybe that's good.

Newb question: Most modern editors are syntax-aware in a highly
customizable way.  They can be taught both to automatically indent,
and to automatically fully reformat on command (including using
whatever curly-brace "cuddling" style is used).  Entire stanzas can be
indented and outdented with only a couple of keystrokes. Alignment of
common elements can also be mostly automated.

Given all of that, what other value does using tabs provide over just
using straight spaces, to produce exactly the expected spacing on all
platforms and viewers?

Royce