Date: Fri, 03 Apr 2015 20:32:34 +0200
From: magnum <john.magnum@...hmail.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: [GSoC] John the Ripper support for PHC finalists

On 2015-04-03 20:03, Agnieszka Bielec wrote:
>> I still think you should set things up in reset(db != NULL) at which
>> point costs will be known. Did you miss my mail
>> http://www.openwall.com/lists/john-dev/2015/03/30/17 ?
>
> I see but it's only auto tuning, I don't want to compile the kernel
> many times.
> I think that I must to generate fmt_test automatically because
> there's many of combinations of (m_cost,t_cost) values
> and we want to see the --test with the concrete values
> of t_cost and m_cost

It's not just auto tuning. Unless I misunderstand the problem, the very
function you need is reset(). For example like this:

- On reset(NULL), as in self-test, you set some fixed low LWS/GWS of eg.
32/128 and whatever mem_size is needed for test vectors' costs. Yes, you
will get an extra compile here, but that's faster than a self-test with
full LWS/GWS anyway.

- On reset(db), you parse the db and see what costs you actually need.
Then you release the temporary buffers/kernel, and auto-tune using the
costs that are actually needed (you can even auto-tune with the very
hashes loaded for cracking, which should be optimal).

BTW compiled kernels will be cached. For nvidia the driver caches it.
For AMD, we do.

magnum