Date: Sat, 28 Mar 2015 13:06:50 +0100
From: magnum <john.magnum@...hmail.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: get_binary() vs. binary()

It has been mentioned a couple times over the years that our mix of
salt() vs. get_salt() and binary() vs. get_binary() was confusing. Today
I tried refactoring all non-core formats to use salt() and binary() but
that ended up really messy (eg. often clashing with variable names) so I
reverted it.

After noticing that "john proper" actually mostly does use the get_*
names within the formats, I decided to adopt that in Jumbo instead: Now
most formats use get_salt() and get_binary() while core code and format
struct have them as just salt() and binary(). This was a much cleaner
patch and I think it ends up with code easier to read.

I left all core formats as-is in the few cases they diverted from this
scheme. We have far to many unnecessary changes to core code and all
such changes are subject to be reverted at any time I merge core. Jumbo
should basically add to core, not change it.

magnum