Date: Sat, 7 Mar 2015 21:22:30 +0800
From: Kai Zhao <loverszhao@...il.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Any advice on how to fuzz john jumbo by AFL

Hi, I fuzzed john jumbo two days but without find any crashes. The fuzz
result indicates that john jumbo is robust or my fuzz test go somewhere
wrong place.

My fuzz testing steps as follows:

  1. fuzz unshallow
      1.1 fuzz time about 6 hours
      1.2 no crash

  2. fuzz john without any change
      2.1 the input test is copy from the test cases in the src/*_fmt_plug.c
      2.2 fuzz time about 20 hours
      2.3 fuzz slow because the john try to crack the input files
      2.4 no crash

 3. fuzz john with change source code
     3.1 I comment the line:  john_run() in src/john.c in order to only
test the
           john_init function which involves format valid
     3.2 fuzz time about 6 hours
     3.3 fuzz fast
     3.4 no crash

Maybe you have some good advice on how to fuzz john. Thank you.

--
loverszhaokai
motto:You got a dream and you gotta protect it.

Content of type "text/html" skipped