Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2015 11:05:02 +0100
From: magnum <john.magnum@...hmail.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: descrypt speed

On 2015-02-20 08:02, Royce Williams wrote:
> I had previously stopped at 8 because 9 showed no appreciable
> improvement at the time for unknown reasons.  I naively presumed a
> simple threshold and did not double-check.
>
> So fork=10 is the sweet spot on my system - two processes for the four
> x16 cards, and one process for the x1 cards.  More than that and
> performance is never as good as at fork=10.  Thanks for helping me to
> clarify.
>
> Side question: Can I either tell JtR to automatically exit after X
> minutes, or invoke --test against all GPUs?  Either would make tests
> like these simpler.

You can run a test for five minutes using --test=300, or a real session
for five minutes using --max-run=300 (that session is resumable, and
will run for another 5 minutes each time you resume it).

We do not support --fork with --test yet. We do for MPI though, which is
otherwise much like fork if you run it on a single host.

./john --fork=4 (...)  ~=  mpirun -np 4 ./john (...)

magnum