Date: Sat, 7 Feb 2015 20:48:42 +0300
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Cygwin --fork problems seem to be solved

On Sat, Feb 07, 2015 at 05:23:33PM +0100, magnum wrote:
> What is the reason you went with flock() for file locking? I'm guessing
> you had specific reasons.

Legacy reasons that applied in mid-1990s.  This decision was already
obsolete by late 1990s, so e.g. popa3d uses fcntl() locking by default
(but also supports flock).  I actually have a to-do item for JtR that
says literally "move from flock to fcntl".

> From the looks of it so far, Cygwin works perfectly fine with --fork
> when using fcntl() locking instead of flock(). We tried this after
> establishing that the problem we've seen all the time is that flock()
> deadlocks. This is obviously a bug in Cygwin that should be fixed, but
> that's another story. We will implement fcntl locking an alternative and
> use it for Cygwin at least, possibly others?

Perhaps use fcntl for all by default, and import the wrapper functions
from popa3d?

> https://github.com/magnumripper/JohnTheRipper/issues/1044

Wow.

Alexander