Date: Fri, 09 Jan 2015 17:02:02 +0100
From: magnum <john.magnum@...hmail.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: PRINCE

On 2015-01-09 16:13, Solar Designer wrote:
> atom has released princeprocessor under MIT license:
>
> https://github.com/jsteube/princeprocessor/
>
> and he specifically suggested to me that he'd like this to be his
> contribution to JtR. :-)

Cool. I already created an issue for it in
https://github.com/magnumripper/JohnTheRipper/issues/1011

I saw a couple of bugfixes a day so far, so it's not completely stable.
We should try to keep it "mergable" in one way or the other. At least
refrain from large rewrites unless necessary. For example, we should
#ifdef out unneeded code blocks instead of dropping them.

> So, anyone wants to integrate this code into -jumbo as a new cracking
> mode (which it is)?

Unless someone else (read Jim :) beats me to it, I will.

On a side note I haven't looked at the code at all yet but I'm curious
about this mode vs. GPU generation. Perhaps the hotter parts can reside
on GPU? That would be awsome. If it's worthwhile at all I'm sure Atom
will implement it soon.

> There's a dependency on GMP, so (as currently implemented) this mode
> should only be included if GMP is found by the configure tests (we
> already have a test for it, for SRP).

Yes, we'll have autoconf take care of that. The SRP formats can
optionally do without GMP with some speed penalty, perhaps we can
implement that later.

magnum