Date: Fri, 12 Dec 2014 06:12:51 +0300
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Crack 5.0's RULE_RESTART '*'

On Thu, Dec 11, 2014 at 06:31:32AM +0300, Solar Designer wrote:
> Please don't use the '*' rule command character for anything new,
> because we need to:
>
> 	add Crack 5.0's RULE_RESTART '*' as shortcut for X0z0 'l
>
> (as I've just added to my to-do list).

We have a problem here: the same command character is used by *hashcat
for a different purpose:

https://hashcat.net/wiki/doku.php?id=rule_based_attack

Swap @ N 	 *XY 	 Swaps character X with Y

So we have to choose Crack compat vs. *hashcat compat.

(We could also introduce some magic where '*' would act Crack-like if
followed by a NOP and *hashcat-like otherwise, but I'd rather not do that.)

*hashcat compat is of more practical relevance now, even though Crack
was first to use this command character.

Alexander