Date: Wed, 5 Nov 2014 20:32:51 +0530
From: Sayantan Datta <std2048@...il.com>
To: john-dev <john-dev@...ts.openwall.com>
Subject: Discuss Mask-mode with GPUs and changes required for its support.

Hi magnum, all,

Based on my earlier experience with mask-mode, it was necessary to write
separate kernels for benchmark, mask-mode(password on GPU) and non-mask
modes. However, as much as I would love to unify them under a common
kernel, with all of them following the same code path, it is difficult to
do so without making debatable changes. Some of the changes I propose are-

1. Apply a default mask='?w' for formats supporting GPU generation when
non-mask modes are used.

2.  Do away with self-test for formats with password generation on GPU.
Instead, use the test-suit or write a separate self-test which is based on
the same paradigm as the test-suite. Optionally, we'd want to use a
non-default mask, that can crack the hashes loaded for checking.

3. For benchmark, use a default benchmark mask, which corresponds to a
generic usage scenario for the format. Also the number hashes cracked
should be kept minimal so that it roughly resembles a generic cracking
session.

Unfortunately, these are only the guidelines and I don't have much idea
regarding where and how to incorporate those changes.

Regards,
Sayantan

Content of type "text/html" skipped