Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2014 01:21:24 +0200
From: magnum <john.magnum@...hmail.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Error with gcc-4.9.1 on MacOS 10.9.5

On 2014-10-20 19:41, Solar Designer wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 20, 2014 at 05:52:11PM +0200, magnum wrote:
>> Did you not get this message from ./configure?
>>
>> configure: WARNING: **************************************************
>> configure: WARNING: * System's 'as' can't assemble AVX instructions. *
>> configure: WARNING: * Fixing this may yield better performance.      *
>> configure: WARNING: * See last section of doc/INSTALL                *
>> configure: WARNING: **************************************************
>
> I guess you're asking Erik, but:
>
> BMI is not (part of) AVX.  BMI is newer than AVX.  It is possible that
> Erik's assembler supports AVX, but not BMI, and in this case there's no
> reason to disable use of AVX just because BMI is not supported.

No, in OSX 10.9.5, the native 'as' can't even do AVX while clang can do
AVX, AVX2 and BMI. The above message should show (and now also revert
the build to -msse4.1 which as supports), and copying that wrapper
script to /usr/local/bin/as and have it preceed /usr/bin in PATH should
fix the problem and enable all features.

I just tried building (using that wrapper script) with
./configure CFLAGS="-mavx2 -mbmi -O2" --disable-native-tests
with no problems (although I can't run the resulting binary on this
machine).

magnum