Date: Sat, 27 Sep 2014 08:12:54 +0530
From: Sayantan Datta <std2048@...il.com>
To: john-dev <john-dev@...ts.openwall.com>
Subject: Re: Restart work on mask mode

On Thu, Sep 25, 2014 at 10:39 PM, magnum <john.magnum@...hmail.com> wrote:

> On 2014-09-23 22:01, Sayantan Datta wrote:
>
>> Please test the new mask mode cracker and apply it to bleeding-jumbo, if
>> you are comfortable.
>>

> I have now re-added support for encodings and the additional placeholders
> we had. Your new code seems to work fine and things like resume, node/fork
> etc. seems to work like it should. So it's committed! Good stuff, but we
> need more testing.
>
> I also recently made a little change to --stdout so you can do things like
> this, for testing encodings and still get UTF-8 output for your terminal:
>
> $ ../run/john --stdout --enc=utf8 --int=8859-1 -mask=?l
> Rules/masks using ISO-8859-1 as intermediate encoding for Unicode
> Press 'q' or Ctrl-C to abort, almost any other key for status
> ª
> º
> 61p 0:00:00:00 100.00% (2014-09-25 19:04) 290.4p/s ÿ
>
> This shows how ?l (and most other placeholders) will behave differently
> when some encoding is active.
>
> magnum

Before moving on to GPU stuffs, we should add support for wordlist + mask
mode. However, I have doubts regarding how to proceed with this. How would
we like our hybrid mode to work?

like ?d?d?w?a?a?w where 'w' are the word from two wrodlists.
or something like -mask=?a?a -pos=N, where the mask would be inserted at
the Nth position in the word.

Though, I think the first one makes more sense as it is easier to derive
case2 from case1. We just need to split the wordlist into two using a
script.

Are we also planning to support any other hybrid modes? If yes, is it
sufficient to create an interface where we could just plug in the words
from other modes in a way discussed above. Should we focus on creating a
functions like plug_in_words_into_mask()?

Regards,
Sayantan

Content of type "text/html" skipped