Date: Mon, 22 Sep 2014 00:22:22 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Restart work on mask mode

Sayantan,

On Sun, Sep 21, 2014 at 11:58:12PM +0530, Sayantan Datta wrote:
> Not surprisingly the main bottleneck lay within rpp_next().
> So I've come up with a new implementation for mask parsing and password
> generation, separate from rpp.
>
> Although a ton of testing is required, the benchmark results are promising;
> little better than incremental.

These benchmark results look good, thank you!

The code doesn't look nearly as good to me (I think it could be
simpler), but there's no way for me to try to improve it other than by
writing it myself from scratch, so we'll have to live with yours (at
least for now, at least in jumbo). ;-)

Just one detail I am actually able to communicate to you easily: please
don't use nested functions.

Alexander