Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2014 02:51:44 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Hash Suite Droid is open-sourced

Hi Alain,

This is very nice, thank you!  Please bring this to john-users.
Everyone on john-dev is supposed to be on john-users as well anyway, and
there's no reason to restrict this info to john-dev.  To remind you, we
had created john-dev for advanced discussions of source code changes,
and this topic isn't one of those.

On Mon, Aug 25, 2014 at 05:34:32PM -0500, Alain Espinosa wrote:
> The Android version of Hash Suite is now an open-source project under
> a GPL 2 license. The code is located:
> https://github.com/alainesp/HashSuiteDroid

As discussed off-list, can you please relax the license to be same as
JtR's - that is, "GPLv2 or later" with OpenSSL and unRAR exceptions?

(BTW, we'll need to further revise JtR's license to accommodate LibreSSL
and the like.  Then I will likely ask you to adjust Hash Suite Droid's
license accordingly as well.)

> You can download the release-ready app for your Android device from:
> http://hashsuite.openwall.net/android

Poor man's way to partially verify integrity of the .apk download, SHA-256:

cbe717565c90c7944d57a34434749f0df1512e84bcd158e2f07e72418ed9ae5b

(Indeed, not a real replacement for a signature.)

> We plan to add some documentation (general architecture of the code,
> how-to add a format ...) in the future. Probably sooner if there is a
> strong demand for it.
>
> For those who not know Hash Suite (http://hashsuite.openwall.net) is a
> commercial Windows passwords cracker. It have almost all features you
> expect in a modern cracker and some more. We are releasing as
> open-source the Hash Suite "core" code together an Android project
> that handle the UI part of the app. The Windows UI part and several
> other tools will remain proprietary.

Great.

Thanks again,

Alexander