Date: Fri, 06 Jun 2014 20:25:10 +0200
From: magnum <john.magnum@...hmail.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Win32 Standalone Bleeding Jumbo warning

On 2014-06-05 17:50, Rich Rumble wrote:
> When I run the latest versions outside cygwin (in cmd.exe), I see
> these messages when I use -pipe for instance...
> --------------------------
> Warning: '/dev/shm' does not exists or is not a directory.
>
> POSIX shared memory objects require the existance of this directory.
> Create the directory '/dev/shm' and set the permissions to 01777.
> For instance on the command line: mkdir -m 01777 /dev/shm

Maybe Jim can tweak this in some way. If you want to run outside Cygwin
a MinGW build should be much less prone to things like this.

> And I noticed some specific references to *nix specifica paths in the conf file
> # If this file exists, john will abort cleanly
> AbortFile = /var/run/john/abort
>
> # While this file exists, john will pause
> PauseFile = /var/run/john/pause
>
> Should those not be $JOHN?
> (e.g.)Statsfile = $JOHN/stats

You could change them to $JOHN if you like. The rationale for the
default is I wanted it to be usable on Openwall's test machines in a way
that users can pause/abort *other* users' processes if needed (using a
group writable /var/run/john directory).

> When I use the Cygwin env, the command runs with no warnings, but I do
> have to issue
> "stty echo" to see my console input again, this is the command:
>
> ./john.exe -stdout -external=sequence | ./john.exe -session=123
> pass.txt -format=nt -pipe -rules=single

That must be a bug. Jim, can you reproduce it?

magnum