Date: Sat, 31 May 2014 21:18:23 +0200
From: magnum <john.magnum@...hmail.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Warnings with new autoconf on bleeding-jumbo

On 2014-05-31 21:10, [Jano] wrote:
> I get these warnings when building the latest bleeding-jumbo using new
> "./configure":
> (./configure --enable-mpi && make -s clean && make -sj4)

> DES_std.c: In function ‘DES_std_set_key’:
> DES_std.c:637:17: warning: array subscript is above array bounds
> [-Warray-bounds]
>     while (DES_key[i++]) k += 2;

This warning (seen even "non-Jumbo" JtR) is just a red herring from gcc.
If you revert to gcc-4.7 you don't see it, while gcc-4.8 and 4.9 (if
memory serves me) show it. Nothing to worry about. I actually use 4.7
most of the time just for this reason (I'm not aware of any performance
benefits of the newer ones).

magnum