Date: Fri, 18 Apr 2014 09:28:33 -0500
From: "jfoug" <jfoug@....net>
To: <john-dev@...ts.openwall.com>
Subject: RE: proof of concept converter of rexgen-like syntax into john rules

This could actually be a 'mode' within the rexgen lib.   -i is actually very trivial.   What happens, is rexgen converts an input like password into [pP][aA]...[oO][dD] and then simply runs it.  It could be that a mode is added to that lib, -e that does elite, or simply add methods that allow setting what sets of characters get replaced, so the -i code (case=true) works differently.   We might bring this to Jan. That way, the case code is pre-seeded with a=aA A=aA, b=bB B=bB, etc.  But if we have an interface that allows setting a=aA4@&  b=bB86  s=sS$5, o=oO0, etc, then rexgen could easily do complex leet stuff

I am pretty sure that rexgen dynamically recomputes this  for each \0

I know we have hit up Jan quite a bit the last few weeks, getting rexgen stabilized (it is close, but still needs some things), and I know this may be a 'one-off' request for JtR. This may be that the regex.c code within JtR (where the callback function is), will have to be enhanced to do this form of 'super-elite' work.  It would not be too hard there. For each word read, the word itself is converted into the [first_letters][second_letters]...[last_letters] format, and then a new iterator created within rexgen based upon this word and the possibilities.  This actually 'should' be sort of easy to do.  Simply find the original regex string, replace all \0 values with the proper character classes, and send that string to create a new iterator.  Then when we read the next word, replace the original \0 again with the recomputed character classes for this next word, etc.

Jim.