Date: Fri, 11 Apr 2014 18:54:39 +0200
From: Katja Malvoni <kmalvoni@...il.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: ZedBoard: bcrypt

ᐧ
Hello,

Here are some better news about this.

Redesigning PS-PL communication resulted in improvement. I have working
design with 70 bcrypt cores. Performance is 2162 c/s on 71 MHz frequency. 2
cycles are needed for one Blowfish round. Computation on host is overlapped
with computation on FPGA 5/6th of the time.

Utilization is:
Number of Slice Registers:                     11,849 out of 106,400   11%
Number of Slice LUTs:                           44,811 out of  53,200    84%
Number of occupied Slices:                    12,914 out of  13,300    97%
Number of RAMB36E1/FIFO36E1s:        140 out of       140        100%
Number of BUFG/BUFGCTRLs:              2 out of           32         6%

I can't fit more than 70 cores, BRAM is the limiting resource. If I don't
store P, expanded key, salt and cost in BRAM, I have to store it in
distributed RAM in order to keep the communication the way it is now. I
can't use AXI4 bus to store something in register, it has to be a memory
with address bus, data in and data out buses and write enable signal
(actually, when I implement it such that it uses write enable, it's
synthesized as distributed RAM. And write enable is the only way I can tell
is the host writing or reading). LUT utilization for this design was around
55% for 4 bcrypt cores.

Code: git clone https://github.com/kmalvoni/JohnTheRipper -b master

Katja

Content of type "text/html" skipped