Date: Fri, 31 Jan 2014 21:57:42 +0100
From: Lukas Odzioba <lukas.odzioba@...il.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: General question: Motivation to contribute

2014-01-31 deepika <anamikaspace@...oo.com>:
> Maybe someone can tell about his/her personal experience.

In my opinion there are two types of people who contribute to open
source projects:
- those who need some motivation(external) to contribute, and there
are likely to leave project when source of their motivation is gone
- those who don't need any other motivation than free time, and they
will contribute to one or more projects because they like it

What I got from jtr contribution (alphabetical order):
- a lot of knowledge
- access to hardware that I am not able to buy
- contribution to this project was more important for my current
employer than previous work experience
- cool 0-day tshirts
- good point to start with infosec
- met great people here
- money (gsoc)
- participation in contests with john-users which was cool itself
- possibility to do what I always wanted
- some of my work was appreciated by the community (at least I hope so)
- found a way to use my free time to something usefull (for others)
and cool (for me)

Lukas